[Orcnet] Sign up for science fair judge

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Nov 3 17:23:23 UTC 2007

For the last three years, I have participated as a judge for local
middle and high school science fairs.  I have a lot of fun, meet a
bunch of great kids, and the world looks better afterwards.   And
the kids appreciate the heck out of it;  even if they don't win
prizes, the attention and the respect they get from accomplished
adults really brightens their lives, and encourages them to do
great things.

The biggest problem with judging fairs is that there are not enough
judges;  our time with each kid is too brief, and they don't get
enough time to share their enthusiasm.  Every extra judge helps a
lot.  The need is especially acute for life sciences;  even if you
are only a pet owner or a weekend gardener, your experience there
plus your engineering background is quite adequate for providing
a sympathetic ear and discern the best among the good.  This might
even be a date opportunity for you singles with an interesting
friend who is involved in science or engineering.

So please go to the Northwest Science fair website at www.nwse.org
and sign up.  Yes, judging a fair will take a day out of your work
time, but if you invite your clients/boss/co-workers to participate
as well, it will advance your business and career a lot more than
another day of same-old same-old.  You might even end up meeting
your next customer, boss, or co-worker there;  it is a great
networking opportunity!

Keith