[Orcnet] Digital Power Grid 2 -- We do have real challenges.

H. Joe Tabor harryjoe at teleport.com
Wed Dec 3 00:32:11 UTC 2008

Fellow ORCNETers,

I wrote something a few minutes ago about the "Digital Power Grid."
mostly for my amusement, but also because I am concerned about the
number of mystics we have in the US.  It seems that mystics outnumber
engineers in this country at least by 20 to 1!  It seems like "digital"
is now the mystical word that can fix anything related to technology.

I don't want to take away from any serious discussion, as that is our
purpose.  In reality, I don't have any regrets about choosing an
"analog" career over a digital career.  However, I do regret
not taking any classes in power engineering at U of I.

A lot of challenges are in the power industry now, not just with "green"
energy, but a lot of the power plants in existance are certainly getting
close to or past their designed "End of Life."

Also, in an age of political heavy handedness, I am not really looking
forward to how politicians will try to solve energy problems.
We actually might need to get involved in talking with our congressional
reps.  Even though I ran against David Wu, I did call his office six
times prior, regarding issues that I thought were important to me.

I haven't gotten around to it, but I really should be attending some of
the IEEE power engineers' meetings.

Joe