[Orcnet] Richard Smalley online lecture on energy

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Dec 3 21:07:55 UTC 2008

BTW, I pointed at the essay by Richard Smalley.  If you have an hour and
a half, I also suggest watching an online lecture he made about energy:

http://www.researchchannel.org/prog/displayevent.aspx?rID=3427&fID=345

Richard Smalley received the 1996 Nobel Chemistry prize for
discovering carbon fullerines and carbon nanotubes.   The take home
message from the lecture (and from the paper) is that even while we
get better at conservation, we must discover, design, and build many
new forms of Terawatt-scale energy generation.  We will need to
develop hydrogen as a secondary transport fuel.  All this will require
an Apollo-scale investment in education, science, engineering, and
vision.  Small stuff will help a little, but we need to do big stuff
to accomplish this, and we can't let ourselves get distracted by
impractical feel-good projects.

BTW, there are 3500+ lectures on a wide range of subjects on the
Research Channel, growing faster than you can watch them all.  This
is good stuff - I'm about to watch the Vincent Cerf lecture on the
evolution of the Internet while I do my "morning" exercise.  Perhaps
I will find something about effective techniques for informing
non-technical people about making technical decisions.

Keith