[Orcnet] Off topic - "No Highway in the Sky" movie

Steve Wetterling stevewetterling at comcast.net
Mon Jun 16 17:07:32 UTC 2008

More information from Steve Wetterling:

When this movie came out in the early 50's, it was astonishingly precient
for the fate of the de Haviland Comet, the first successful commercial
airline plane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Comet).  This was
the British built air transport that predated the Boeing 707.  The early
production versions were built with an aluminum alloy that was highly prone
to stress fractures and started falling out of the sky after 1 to 2 years of
takes & landings - exactly like this movie.  The book and the movie thereof
were just creepy in how well they presented both the technical details and
how extremely defensive the manufacturer and the airline company were in
denying the possiblities for catastrophic failures.

Great movie.  Jimmy Stewart did usual good job.  The sets with the full size
"Raindeer" airplane mockups were awsome.

(Comet is one of Santa Claus' raindeer).

s.w.