[Orcnet] Simple control for one-off experiment

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Aug 18 21:00:16 UTC 2009

Many years ago, I built an experimental setup that would levitate an
iron bar; linear sensors, opamps, and switching controllers.  I want
to build something similar, with a digital controller.  I figure I
need to control 8 linear channels, magnets, perhaps 12V at 2 amps
per channel, with 8 photosensors and some kHz level real time DSP.
I have a bunch of audio power amplifier hybrids which I can drive
from an analog controller board.  I can program from a laptop, but
I would slightly prefer something that can operate without it.   I
can do filters and Z transforms and close control loops and hack C.
I run Linux, though I can run windoze programs inside a virtual
machine, not fast.

Question:  What SBC would be good for controlling this 8 channel
system?  I would gladly trade modest dollars for ease-of-use and
a large development community that shares information.

Question:  What are people using for off-the-shelf 5V-2A/12V-20A
power supplies?  I suspect an old PC power supply would not like
my wildly varying load.  If it does, let me know!  I can drag my
bench supplies around with me if needs be, but would rather not.
Efficiency is not an issue, but weight is.

Keith