[Orcnet] Consulting sales cycle

Richard Westlake westlake at spiritone.com
Mon Apr 21 18:54:17 UTC 2008

Keith

With me it's varied from a few minutes to over a year.

Interesting enough ... after a few minutes introduction ... we created a job
was one of the largest ever ... involving several of my associates.

I've only had one job my entire career that came from answering an
advertisement ...

and I've never gotten a job because of formal advertising  that I've done.

Typically someone who knows me has referred me to another person they know
... and the jobs follow from that.

I've found that people who want to negotiate all the details up front and  /
or who are concerned with minimizing costs ...

are not worth spending much time talking with ... especially the ones who
want it done really cheap.

Here's quote form a friend of mine who's been at it longer than any of us.

"The probability of the success of a project is inversely proportional to
the thickness of the contract."

For the most part I've found that to be accurate.

Richard