[Orcnet] Do you know anything about small business grants

Federici Business Group susan at federicibusiness.com
Sun Dec 14 23:32:05 UTC 2008

Terry Lang wrote:
> Do you know anything about small business grants?
>
> I was contacted recently about receiving a grant to expand my business.
>
> Any insite would help.
>
> Terry Lang

Dear Terry,

    It is interesting that you ask this question.  Last September I was
engaged by a woman client to investigate this same question.  In this
case my client believed that she had a little bit of an advantage since
hers is a woman-owned business.  My client supplied me with a pair of
commercially prepared CDs advertising that they contained contact
information for sources of small business grants.

    It turned out that one of the CDs contained only information about
how to prepare a grant application.  From the other CD, I captured only
three opportunities from an advertised 1,500 possibilities.  The three
opportunities I found were:

    The Small Business Administration's Office of Women's Business
Ownership in Washington, D.C. Telephone:(202) 205-6673

    Department of Commerce's Minority Business Development Agency in
Washington, D.C.  Telephone: (202) 377-8015

    The State of Oregon's Sales Office of Minority, Women, and Emerging
Business in Salem, Oregon

Upon investigating these opportunities, I discovered very quickly that
/*NONE*/ of these institutions offer any grants to small business owners
to start, expand, or operate their companies.  Indeed, the initial
telephone answering message on the Small Business Administration's phone
states that they do not offer grants.  I can also refer you to an
article published by the Commerce Department's Minority Business
Development Agency on their website titled, "The Myth of Free Government
Money: a Perennial and Pernicious Scam".  The URL for this article is:

http://www.mbda.gov/?section_id=3&bucket_id=101&content_id=3286&well=entire_page

Finally, the URL, http://www.egov.oregon.gov/DCBS/OMWESB/about_us.shtml,
takes you to the State of Oregon's disclaimer regarding itself as a
source of small business grants.

    So, Terry, I'm sorry to pass along the news that free government
grants are a scam.  I send my best wishes that you are able to expand
your company's business by some other means.

          Ciao!----Susan Federici, PhD, MBA
                   Federici Business Group