[Orcnet] Do you know anything about small business grants

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Dec 15 00:13:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 03:32:05PM -0800, Federici Business Group wrote:
> article published by the Commerce Department's Minority Business
> Development Agency on their website titled, "The Myth of Free Government
> Money: a Perennial and Pernicious Scam".  The URL for this article is:
>
> http://www.mbda.gov/?section_id=3&bucket_id=101&content_id=3286&well=entire_page

Great article!  It mentions SBIR grants, which might be available
for some kinds of engineering work, but my one experience with
those was that they are not a solid basis for building a business.

I was engaged for consulting work for a local engineering company,
allegedly to design a chip to go in a product.  It turns out that
the company lives off SBIR money;  they did not have a specific
customer need in mind, they just wanted a chip (because that was
a condition for an SBIR grant).  After a couple of frustrating
months attempting to build a specification for a chip with no
real application, I refunded their money and walked away.  There
seemed like no way this was going to turn into a real product.

What happened to the old fashioned "please customers and get paid"
business model?  It seems like a lot of people prefer to get
something for nothing.

Keith