[Orcnet] Consulting sales cycle

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Apr 21 16:19:39 UTC 2008

Gents:

I am negotiating with a startup for a few months of work.  So
far it has taken three weeks of very occasional interaction,
almost all because of delays at their end (they are starting up,
after all).  This is nothing unusual for me;  sometimes the dance
can take a year to complete, though rarely more than 20 or 30 hours
of time are involved in the setup, a fraction of the billable work.

Sometimes the dance takes less than 48 hours - one negotiation
was started on the phone Monday afternoon, completed at lunch in
Southern California on Tuesday, and I was in Boston Wednesday
doing the work.  But it is rarely that fast.

What are other Orcnetter's experiences?  How long does a sale
take for the rest of you -- assuming a few months of well paid
custom design work are the result?  Do longer negotiations fail
more often?  Do you give up and blow off the prospect after too
much time elapses?  What is too much?

Keith